Thursday 23 January 2014

Are you happy?

About a year ago, my life seemed perfect - I had a great career; I earned plenty of money; I had a loving partner; I was healthy; I went on plenty of holidays. But I wasn't happy. I wanted more. I wanted a better job and more money as there was never anything left. I didn't appreciate my partner, I was overweight, never enjoyed any of those many holidays and never had time to do the things I liked. I thought if I'd weigh less, earned more, be able to buy everything I wanted, I would be happy. I had no idea!!!

My breaking point was when I broke into tears in the middle of the Gym. There was no specific reason, I had just a bad day - I lost money because I mixed up the dates for our holiday booking and had to re-book as I wasn't able to get a refund. I weight myself after yet another diet and still didn't loose a gram. My job was stressfull as usual and there in the middle of the Gym while I was doing my exercise I bursted into tears. No-one saw this coming, me at the least. I cried and could not stop. People in the Gym were getting worried as I had no apparent reason. I myself thought how silly of me, I got the perfect life, I should be so happy. I've got everything most people ever want - why the hell am I so unhappy??? I left the Gym and did what I normally did when I was sad - I went shopping. I need to spoil myself, right? I'm working hard and deserve something nice. Normally I would go and buy clothes I never wear or I do get some pampering done. But this time I went to the bookshop and bought myself a book which probably saved my life. I bought a book about the simple life. I didn't know it was about simple life. I hoped the book would make my life easier, find better solutions for all those annoying chores I don't like doing, so I have more time to go shopping. If you would have told me this book will teach me about living with less, I wouldn't have bought it. Hey, I work hard and earn well - why should I want to live with less?

I read the entire book in just 3 days. I created lists and plans on how to implement all those changes, thinking the entire time of how I can save time by doing this without really wanting to change the way I live. But somehow it happened. Very slowly and hardly noticeable. I started to question why I live the way I lived. How did I get there? Is this were I wanted to be? Was this what I had in mind when I went to Uni and studied? Did I really want to work that hard to buy stuff I didn't really want or need? Did I want to feel stressed, tired and annoyed all the time? No, this wasn't how I envisaged my life to be. I had to change. I wanted to try the simple life, see if it makes me happy. I started with cleaning out my wardrobe. I had two wardrobes full of clothes. They all fitted me, so I thought I can't trow them out. But I went thru everything and checked if it suits me and if I really like it. I gave more than half of my wardrobe to charity. And I suddenly had this feeling, I haven't felt for a long time - satisfaction. And then came happiness. Funny enough this feeling of happiness lasted much longer then any of my I-bought-myself-something-to-feel-good happiness. It was just there - every morning I opened my wardrobe I was happy all over again. I can't explain it but I since have read a lot about simple life and the theory to live happy with less.

I spent the entire last year (or what was left of it) to implement a simple life. Well, this sound like a truly happy ending, right? Not quite. I have no idea why it's called the simple life, when it certainly isn't simple! Cooking from scratch, housework, gardening, making your own cleaners, buying local food, repairing, recycling, being mindfull while working fulltime is hard work! After 12 hours working away from home I don't really feel like having to go to several different shops to buy the product at the cheapest price. How was I supposed to tend a vegetable garden when I only saw my graden in bright light only on weekends? I wanted to life a simple life but I felt overwhelmed by it.

Simple life isn't easy. It's not convenient. but if you feel like I did, give it a go. I will write on this blog about transitioning into a simple life. I will explain the steps I took to get me there. Participate in the journey and experience the changes in you and your life - you will love it! Please join me in living a simple life, a happy life - it's not complicated!

4 comments:

  1. I'm with you Frances Simple, its not complicated, but it does take some work. I felt the same way, and am much happier with life now. I look forward to reading about your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Frances, I picked up Rhonda's book from the simple forum a few months back and have finally gotten around to reading it, love the changes I am making and have been slowly heading towards this type of life for the past 20 years, bit by bit it's happening :) regards, Sue www.asustainablejourney.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Frances. I just had a look at your blog and it looks like it is a real newbie. Good on you. All the best with your 'simple living'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your comments! Hope you come and have a look here every now and again and talk about your experiences. I'll try to post on Tuesday every week.

    ReplyDelete