Tuesday 25 March 2014

Run free Quentin!

On Friday afternoon when I returned to my room after work, I had a message from Steve on my phone to contact him. Immediately I knew something was wrong. Upon calling him, he broke the bad news to me. My beloved Weimaraner Quentin had died of a snake bite. I burst into tears in the middle of the camp, my heart felt like it was being ripped out. I could not believe it!
Quentin was only 6 years old and a pure bred Weimaraner from Tasmania. I bought Quentin in 2008 when my old girl Hera was 9 years old. Hera had bad arthritis and I believed she wouldn't been with me for much longer. As Hera was my first dog and has been through a lot with me, I love her wholeheartedly and I was worried that it would totally destroy me when she passes. Along came Quentin, a loving 9-week old male Weimaraner pup.
Hera must have thought I was completely mad. I did separate them for the first few weeks but they so quickly fell in love with each other, all my concerns disappeared. Hera wasn't the kind of dog who liked to be cuddled to close or needed physical contact all time - she was quite the opposite, she preferred to be left alone, just like me. Quentin however was a whole different story. He would have been happy to sleep wrapped around my shoulders. He loved physical contact. But I knew he was growing to be a big dog and never encouraged anything which would have hurt us later on.
He grew up quick and he was not just a pretty face! He won several shows including the Brisbane Royal with Puppy in breed and he was voted as 'Best Head' at the Weimaraner Speciality. But I didn't enjoy the showring much and neither did Quentin, so we did more breed-appropriate things. I did basic obedience training with him but we were both to impatient to follow this to a higher level. There was 2 things Quentin loved: searching and retrieving.
Retrieving he absolutely loved, his only issue was his fear of water. I just could not get him into it. Hera loves the water and will use every puddle if I'd let her. Quentin always waited on the safe land for her to return. I took him to doggie swimming pools, bought him a swimming vest but no he didn't want to go into the water. As Hera was getting older, she got tired more quickly and I was worried she would go for a swim and tire to much to return - especially in the wild ocean she loves so much. So for her 10th birthday she got a swimming vest as well and I took her for a swim in the river when Quentin just ran in to follow her. What a surprise that was! He loved the water ever since.

He completed his search and rescue training and he loved to go retrieving. Hera and Quentin were inseparable and I love this big boy to bits. We travelled and celebrated birthdays and Christmases. Quentin adored my sister when she came for a 3-months visit. The two of them were a match made in heaven. Quentin grew into a Weimaraner with beautiful features and very intelligent. We moved from Brisbane to Central Queensland for work and we found a beautiful place to rent despite his size and the fact that I actually had 2 dogs.
We lived in the rental for 18 months but then Steve retired and we bought a 3 acre property just west of Rockhampton. Quentin loved his new home! There was so much to do and so much to smell! There were birds to be chased, cows to be looked at, horses to bark at and all those roos and rabbits to hunt - he must have felt like in heaven. Unfortunately he wanted more and ran away as soon as you flashed an eyelid - and left the gate open. But he never ventured far and in time, he visited all the new places and settled down at home.
I think the past 3 years were our best. I changed jobs and started a new life I actually enjoyed living and with this I became more relaxed, more at ease and happier. Quentin must have felt this. He was always by my side. I get up in the early morning, make myself a cup of coffee and sit on the porch overlooking the cow paddock and the mountains - one of my favourite views from my property. I sit there and enjoy - coffee in one hand, cuddling Quentin with the other.
He was a fantastic dog - beautiful, big, gentle and loving. Steve, Hera and I as well as everybody who ever met him will miss him deeply.
Run free Quentin!!! We will see each other over the Rainbow Bridge.

Grausturm Quentin's Dream
8 January 2008 - 21 March 2014
You'll be always in our heart.

3 comments:

  1. Oh those gorgeous puppy pictures. What a special boy he was, and how amazing he eventually took to the water! I am still waiting for that in my Ridgeback! I am so sorry you lost your friend so early into his life. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Sue! He was a beautiful boy and I'm very scared to return home on Friday and not see him there.
    Good luck with your Ridgeback. Both of my dogs took forever to get used to the water but once they were, there was no stopping.
    Take care
    Frances

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sad, but in Australia all to common, snakebite. I have lost both a dog and cat to snakes, on the upside with the cat it killed the snake.

    Both our dogs love water, the ridgeback cross, lives in it, the staffy cross will only go in to retrieve sticks, etc.

    ReplyDelete