Saturday 7 February 2015

What has been happening?

Oh boy, it's already been a month since my last post... I hope everybody had a good start to 2015 and that you're successfully keeping up with the money challenge. Thank you all for the congratulations on our engagement - I'm very excited!
When I returned from work, Steve and I met up in Brisbane and stayed at a friend's place. We wanted to have a look for a location for our wedding as we decided to make it a central location for everyone and after a bit of a look around, we decided to get married at the Montville Country Cabins with its beautiful gardens and lake.
The big day is going to be 7 November 2015 - and I still cannot believe we're engaged! I'm looking forward to the day and know it's going to be relaxt and everybody will enjoy themselves.
 
Another reason, we were staying at my friend's place, is my Christmas present: a Husqvarna Topaz 30!
It's a sewing/embroidery machine - I finally wanted to learn how to mend and make things. Since I never ever used a machine like this before, I needed my friend to show me how to get started.
Embroidery works great - the machine does all the work really.
Look at this! Isn't it beautiful?! I was very proud despite not actually doing anything.
I also made some placemats, ...
... and coasters.
We also made a magnificent Mother's Day present. I will post it here on the day as my Mum reads this blog.
We all went to a Swiss Restaurant North of Brisbane - it was fantastic and we really enjoyed the food and the Swiss surroundings - outside the temperature was in its high thirties.
After 10 relaxing days, we travelled back home with a stopover at Hervey Bay to replenish our stockpile with products from Aldi. We stayed at the Waterfront Apartments which were absolutely fabulous and very reasonably priced - we will certainly stay here again.
H first thing I enjoyed doing when I was home, was cooking, like this Moussaka with a healthy cauliflower bechamel sauce...
... Or this dark grain bread - tastes fantastic! I always miss my bread when I'm at work.
I took to clean up my Study to find a spot for my sewing machine.
And look at my pin cushion jar - isn't it pretty?! I made it all by myself (not the jar obviously).
I bought some beautiful fabrics to make a sewing machine cover and hopefully some other things.
I decided on a patchwork quilt cover for my machine, so I had to cut the fabric into squares.
Then I sewed them all together...
... attached the sides ...
... and my sewing machine cover is finished. I love it!!! And I'm so proud to have done this!
I also embroided a hanky for my Granddad's birthday.

Hera was happy that we were all at home, she loved all the attention and she loved when we let her come inside while we had the aircon on. The first few days after we came back were HOT, so we decided to use the aircon. We have one in every room but the only one we ever used was the one in the bedroom. If temps don't get below 30 deg over night, it's just too hot to sleep. But we mid January, we had around 38 deg C which isn't THAT hot but we also had 89% humidity which makes the felt temperature to be like 49 deg C! So we shut all doors and windows and turned the aircon in the living room on and spent our time in there - Hera sleeping on the cool tiles which she loved.
Not long afterwards, it rained and also we had interruptions, it rained every day for the rest of my R'n'R. I enjoyed many, many baths because our tanks were overflowing. The yard is beautiful green, the temperature went down and everything just looks so nice!
We had this rain on the 26 January - Australia Day. Steve and I enjoyed the day at home and I made Mint Juleps. After the rain we jumped in the Pool and it was so nice and refreshing, it was a fantastic day and I really enjoyed it!
This visitor was seeking shelter after the rain. It's just a tree python, so I left it there to rest.
The rainy weather was perfect to trial my sewing machine. I wanted to trial a design I purchased and want to use for our wedding.

Isn't this beautiful? I will use slightly different colours for the final design but I just wanted to see how it turns out. It's a Jacaranda sprig.
And for everybody who doesn't know how this works, I made a little video. Totally amazing!!!
The wet weather brought snakes, spiders, flies, hornets and wasps. I got bitten by a wasp and my hand swell up so much, it was very painful for nearly a week. I also found a large hornet's nest in our Entertainment area which we luckily removed before they hatched.
Our wedding invitations are done and will be send out soon. I think, they're very pretty for a November wedding in South East QLD - surrounded by Jacaranda trees.
Between making German bread and Australian scones, I also made some German breadrolls - Kaiserbroetchen. Hmmm!!!
And I Made some plate protectors for our picnic basket when we go over to Keppel Island next month.
Clever, isn't it?
Hera watched the Magpies visiting and eating all the birdfood from around the cages. She only barks at them when they're in her spot, she doesn't like to share at all!
The Magpie Baby and Stormy are making friends.
So in summary I had 4 fantastic weeks with friends, great weather (loved the rain!!!), craft and baking. I feel very relaxt and happy and am ready to work for 4 weeks again.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, love the machine, and glad you are doing the embroidery. I have an Brother embroidery/sewing machine and it is a long time since I did anything fancy. Montville is such a lovely place should be ideal for the nuptials in November.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Deb! I'm very proud too! Now I have to start being creative and think of new projects. I'm glad I have a wedding to plan and make heaps of stuff for that. Yes, Montville in November with the beautiful gardens and Jacaranda trees - it will be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Melanie! Discovered your real name from your wedding invitations, lol! I think I've visited your blog before, but not for quite a while, and when I commented on your living room photos, I noticed the link to your blog and decided to visit. You have a delightful blog with lovely photos of all the interesting things you do :-) Love those plate protectors - are they just hand towels sewn up the sides with a button to fasten the flap? Such a neat idea. Have you put this on the DTE forum -if not, you should!
    Pretty sewing machine cover, place mats and coasters too. Glad to see you are content to live with the wildlife and leave the snake to rest where you found him. So many people (mostly city dwellers) would freak out and call a pest control person! We don't see snakes here, but get the occasional echidna and of course there are always possums, which we encourage to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gina, Frances (actually Francesca) is my middle name and I use it more these days then my real name as for me it shows me that I've started my journey and have changed.
    Thanks for your lovely comments! Yes, my plate protector is just a hand towel. :-) It was my second creative idea (after the Mother's Day one) I've ever had.
    We live in a rural area so I'm normally not too fussed about any wildlife/pests as long as they a) don't come inside (some spiders), b) attack me (hornets, wasps in my outdoor area), c) harm my animals (e.g. Brown snakes), I normally leave them where they are. Echidnas are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Frances, I love your sewing machine cover. It is gorgeous. I can see you love your sewing machine too. I hope all goes well for your wedding preparations. It is a nice venue you have chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Nanna Chel! Yes, I enjoy sewing and embroidery but it will take me some time to learn. I will do up a post about my wedding plans soon - so far so good! I'm looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete