Monday 10 August 2015

Adapting to change

Routines - I love them! Knowing what's coming and what I have to do and be prepared for it is great! Nothing bothers me as much as being ill prepared. Therefore I do a lot of planning - I plan daily/monthly/annual routines, holidays, planting in the garden and my career. But sometimes plans have to change.




I think I have always adapted well to change. I moved often and since I moved continents several times, they weren't small moves. I work on Projects and as they always come to an end, my employment period is anywhere between 18 months to 3 years. As long as my daily routines aren't interrupted, I can deal with change quite well.




Currently I work on a project with a sensational 4/4 roster (4 weeks at work, 4 weeks off). Now this project is coming to an end and resources are being consolidated. I probably have another 12 months work and then that's it. But due to the upcoming changes, I might have to change my roster to 2/2 (2 weeks on, 2 weeks off) which is a pain having to fly all the way to Central QLD. I'm not complaining, many people here are on a 26/9 roster (26 days at work, 9 days at home) and fly back to the east coast, so it's doable but I know I wouldn't enjoy it because I will always feel like I never have enough time.

As Steve loves to travel and because he's always worried that he's getting too old, we decided to take the opportunity of having a FIFO job and travel around Australia. Obviously with the wedding coming up, there wont be any changes until the end of this year. We will use this time for planning and preparing. Decisions have to be made what to do with the house and the animals. There's no question that Hera will come with us if she's still around. But we wont be able to take the birds and chooks.


We need to discuss where we want to go and what we want to see. For now we have decided to travel for 6 months. By then we should know how long I actually have left in my job and what I want to do afterwards. My job could get extended and we might travel a bit longer. We might be sick and tired of travelling and decide to go home - we will see.



What brought all these changes on? It wasn't just the restructure at work. It was also my recent birthday. I turned 39 - my last birthday with a 3 in front of it. Kind of scary. It was my birthday which made me think about my life and how I want to life it. At home I have organised my life and am slowly getting where I want to be. But my career is due for some changes, however I'm not sure what they are at the moment, also I do have an idea.
I have promised myself to live a life worth living and not wishing it away. Therefore things will have to change. I'm looking forward to walk on an unknown path in my life because I have done it so often, I know that if it is the wrong one, I will find my way back. I always have, I always will.



I will start a new blog soon for our travel adventures and stop this one for a while. Hope you will all come along and follow us!





3 comments:

  1. The future for you sounds exciting and scary at the same time. I'm looking forward to reading about your upcoming travels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I`m totally agree with you, time is precious and priceless!!! I look forward to your new blog and I´m curious about news from your travelling!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Frances, don't forget to let us know about your new blog when you get it up and running. It sounds like there are a few changes in the air for you. I hope it all works out really well for you.

    ReplyDelete