Tuesday 13 May 2014

Spring Cleaning in Zones

As most of you know, I work as a FIFO (Fly-in, fly-out) worker in WA for 4 weeks and then have 4 weeks off. Previously however, I worked on a residential project, where I was away for 12 hours a day, Mon-Fri and weekends as required. So I know how it feels to come home, be tired, don't want to cook or clean and then get stuck with everything on the precious weekends. Also I have no children, I have pets and as we live in always sunny Central QLD - we're outside a LOT. My house is always (and always has been) immaculate. I just cannot stand dirt or clutter. I normally cleaned early in the morning before I went to work and once to twice a year I do a spring clean.
Spring Cleaning must come from the Northern Hemisphere when people cleaned and aired their homes after winter. Since I live in Australia, I changed the Spring Clean to an Autumn Clean. In Summer our windows and doors are never ever closed, so once autumn settles in and it becomes cooler, we might close a window or door. There's less dust around and the temperatures are nice to work inside the house. I used to do my autumn clean at Easter. This was because I had a few days off in a row where I could clean the entire house. With entire I mean the whole lot: washing curtains, light fittings, fans, take EVERYTHING out of shelves and cupboards, cleaned and returned the items. I wiped every SINGLE book before I put it back on the shelf - and I have a lot of books! I normally started on the Thursday before Easter and before Easter Sunday, I had enough of cleaning.
So what to do? When I read Down to Earth I learnt about cleaning in zones and scheduling routines. Why do I have to clean everything at the same time? I don't! Spring Cleaning in zones was born! When you work full-time, you could take one day a month where you spring clean something, like a particular room or area. My current job allows me to spread the entire house and outside areas (excluding the garden) in my 6 months off.

In January, I had a shorter than usual break plus we went away for a few days, so I only had a week and a bit at home, I decided it's a good time to clean the bathroom and toilet.
I thoroughly cleaned the walls, inside and outside of the cupboards, the light, windows and window fittings as well as the doors, shower screen, bath and toilet. I used bicarb soda, vinegar and clove oil to clean the bathroom. I cleaned all hairbrushes and combs and checked if I still use each and every single item, otherwise it was discarded. It felt good and I enjoyed having a bath in my sparkling bath afterwards.
In February, I autumn cleaned the Guest Bedroom. I washed all bed spread like the doona, pillows and mattress protector, cleaned the windows, the in- and outside of the wardrobe, wiped over the walls, installed a new light ect. Nice and clean - ready for guests.
I worked for all of March and arrived back home in April. As it was school holiday, we weren't planning to go anywhere, so I had plenty of time and cleaned my least favourite room for cleaning purposes - the kitchen. I started with the fridge, removed and cleaned every shelf, checked the expiry date of every product and neatly put everything back in place.

I didn't do the whole kitchen in a day - I didn't need to. I did a draw or a cabinet a day - took everything out, cleaned everything inside and out and assessed the goods. Finally the entire kitchen was done and all I had left was the oven. I had never cleaned this oven before. Sure I cleaned the stove top and wiped over the glass or cleaned a spill but I never actually cleaned it properly.
I removed everything and cleaned all trays and everything else which could be removed. As I have a large oven the backing trays don't fit in any sink and I just put them on the concrete outside and scrubbed them.  It was a bit messy and I did clean the oven on the day of my usual house clean as I knew I will need to vacuum and mop afterwards but it was so much easier than I anticipated!
I used bicarb soda, water and a few drops of tea tree oil as well as cottage garden fragrance. My kitchen sparkles and smells great!!! It was easy enough to do, I just didn't know that. I was so proud, I didn't allow Steve to use the oven while I'm away (only kidding, now I know how to clean it the easy way).
The kitchen is newly organised and clean. Of course I started cooking and baking and everything will get dirty again. BUT I noticed once I cleaned it, it takes much less to 'upkeep'. When I come home I do a deep clean of each zone - but not a spring clean - that takes me an entire day and then everything is clean and tidy. I reduced my times to clean significantly! 1 day a month for a deep clean and then an easy half day for the weekly clean plus a bit of spring cleaning here and there. Fantastic! Very happy.
For sparkling stainless steel appliances, I use homebrand baby oil - it works a treat and is much cheaper than stainless steel cleaner.
My kitchen is very small, probably the smallest kitchen I ever had, but I love it. I bulldozed the old kitchen before we moved in and had this one custom made. Looking back, I probably should have be a bit more patient, saved some more money and extended the house to build a kitchen somewhere with a view. But I don't mind, the kitchen is so pretty, I love looking at it. I have enough space to cook, bake and preserve and now after I decluttered, I even have some empty cupboards! It's functional and I love my appliances.
This is how the kitchen looked like beforehand. The top cupboards were on top of the oven without a rangehood and there was so much grease and grime, I don't think I could have ever cleaned all of that. It didn't feel homely or functional, I didn't even want to put a cup inside this one.
Next time I come home (in 2 weeks and a bit), I will clean the bedroom. I'm really looking forward to that as that means I can sort my wardrobe and check all my clothes. Stay tuned for a fashion parade!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, what a lovely house...sparkling clean too! :-) Obviously you just love your home and where you live in that lovely spot in Queensland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Nanna Chel! Yes, I do love it very much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm slightly intimidated by your cleaning powers.... ;) kidding well a little, I wish I could be that organised! My motivation doesn't kick in until late in the day and then its all directed at the garden! Give me your tips!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sue, also I was always very clean, I was never that organised. I spent a lot of time cleaning and not enough time enjoying, so I made myself a list of routines, stuck to it and now I hardly spend any time on it. I love a clean and neat house, it gives me the biggest pleasure, that's what motivates me.

    ReplyDelete